AATSR: Level 2 University of Leicester Land Surface Temperature (LST) product (UOL_LST_2P), v2.1
Update Frequency: Not Planned
Online Status: ONLINE
Publication State: Published
Publication Date: 2014-07-09
Land Surface Temperature (LST) Level 2 data products (UOL_LST_2P) from the Advanced Along Track Scanning Radiometer (AATSR) produced by the University of Leicester.
The data consists of a Level 2 1km resolution AATSR-orbit based product at a pre-defined set of spatial and temporal resolutions. The product provide AATSR-derived land surface temperature data and its associated uncertainty, as wall as additional auxiliary information.
Level 2 products were produced under contract to the European Space Agency and constitute part of the official (A)ATSR multimission product from version 3 of that dataset. Funding from NERC and the National Centre for Earth Observation (NCEO) also helped in the development of this product and enabled the production of the derived Level 3 products. Both products are NetCDF formatted. For further information on the formats of each of the products please see their product user guides.
Keywords: AATSR, LST, Land, Surface, temperature
No news update for this record
Previously used record identifiers:
The Land Surface Temperature product was derived by the University of Leicester, from the AATSR radiance data acquired by the European Space Agency's (ESA) Envisat satellite. The Level 2 data product forms part of the ESA (A)ATSR multimission data product, and is also held at the NERC Earth Observation Data Centre (NEODC).
Data are netCDF formatted
This dataset was generated by a combination of instruments deployed on platforms
and computations as detailed below.
Mobile Platform Operation 1
Computation Element: 1
Satellite deployed on Envisat
Computation Element: 2
Level 2 University of Leicester Land Surface Temperature (LST) Product (UOL_LST_2P)
This product is the Land Surface Temperature (LST) Level 2 data product (UOL_LST_2P) from the Advanced Along Track Scanning Radiometer (AATSR).
The Level 2 LST product provides 1km resolution AATSR-based land surface temperature and its associated uncertainties, as well as auxiliarly information. It has been produced by the University of Leicester under funding from ESA and the NCEO. The data is included as part of the official ESA (A)ATSR multimission product from the 3rd version of that dataset.
The algorithm applied for computing LST is based on the methodology originally developed by Prata (2002) in that it uses a split-window approach with model-derived regression coefficients which implicitly include the effects of emissivity. However, the updated methodology that was used here applies significantly improved auxiliary datasets for land cover, green vegetation fraction, and total column water vapour and as such is able to reduce or eliminate a wide variety of issues that were observed with the original LST product. Further details about the algorithm used for producing this dataset can be found in Ghent (in preparation).
- long_name: total column water vapour
- var_id: tcwv
- standard_name: atmosphere_mass_content_of_water_vapor
- units: kg m-2
- names: atmosphere_mass_content_of_water_vapor, total column water vapour
- units: 1
- var_id: NDVI
- standard_name: normalized_difference_vegetation_index
- long_name: normalised difference vegetation index
- names: normalized_difference_vegetation_index, normalised difference vegetation index
- var_id: LST
- long_name: land surface temperature
- units: K
- standard_name: surface_temperature
- names: surface_temperature, land surface temperature
- units: 1
- var_id: fv
- standard_name: vegetation_area_fraction
- long_name: fractional vegetation cover
- names: fractional vegetation cover, vegetation_area_fraction
- long_name: centre latitude
- units: degrees_north
- var_id: lat
- standard_name: latitude
- names: latitude, centre latitude
- standard_name: longitude
- units: degrees_east
- var_id: lon
- long_name: centre longitude
- names: longitude, centre longitude
- var_id: dtime
- standard_name: time
- long_name: time difference from reference time
- units: milliseconds
- names: time, time difference from reference time
- var_id: ref_time
- long_name: reference_time
- standard_name: time
- units: seconds
- names: time, reference_time