The UK daily weather observation data contain meteorological values measured on a 24 hour time scale. The measurements of sunshine duration, concrete state, snow depth, fresh snow depth, and days of snow, hail, thunder and gail were attained by observation stations operated by the Met Office across the UK operated and transmitted within DLY3208, NCM, AWSDLY and SYNOP messages. The data span from 1889 to 2018. For details of observations see the relevant sections of the MIDAS User Guide linked from this record for the various message types.
This version supersedes the previous version of this dataset and a change log is available in the archive, and in the linked documentation for this record, detailing the differences between this version and the previous version. The change logs detail new, replaced and removed data.
This dataset is part of the Midas-open dataset collection made available by the Met Office under the UK Open Government Licence, containing only UK mainland land surface observations owned or operated by the Met Office. It is a subset of the fuller, restricted Met Office Integrated Data Archive System (MIDAS) Land and Marine Surface Stations dataset, also available through the Centre for Environmental Data Analysis - see the related dataset section on this record. Currently this represents approximately 95% of available daily weather observations within the full MIDAS collection.
No news update for this record
|Previously used record identifiers:||
No related previous identifiers.
Access to these data is available to any registered CEDA user. Please Login or Register for an account to gain access.
Use of these data is covered by the following licence: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/version/3/. When using these data you must cite them correctly using the citation given on the CEDA Data Catalogue record.
Data collated by the Met Office and archived in the Met Office's MIDAS database. Data are extracted from a sub-set of available tables and delivered to Centre for Environmental Data Analysis (CEDA) approximately on a yearly basis.
Data undergo quality checking by the Met Office. State of the data in the quality control process and level of data quality are indicated using version numbers and quality control flagging with the data. See documentation about how to use the quality control flagging and version numbers. There are also some known data from commissioning trials in the data, which are given a src_id of 99999. These should be ignored by the user.
Data are BADC-CSV formatted.
- long_name: Campbell-stokes hour sunshine duration
- long_name: Concrete State ID
- long_name: Count of hours in observation period
- long_name: Date and time at observation end
- long_name: Elapsed time to storage in MIDAS
- long_name: Fresh mountain snowfall flag
- long_name: Fresh snow amount
- long_name: Gale day flag
- long_name: Hail day code
- long_name: Lying snow flag
- long_name: Lying snow height
- long_name: Met Office receipt stamp time
- long_name: QC code: Campbell-stokes hour sunshine duration
- long_name: QC code: Concrete State ID
- long_name: QC code: Fresh snow amount
- long_name: QC code: Gale day flag
- long_name: QC code: Hail day code
- long_name: QC code: Lying snow
- long_name: QC code: Snow day code
- long_name: QC code: Snow depth
- long_name: QC code: Thunder day flag
- long_name: QC code: WMO equivalent hour sunshine duration
- long_name: QC code: derived 24 hour sunshine
- long_name: Snow day code
- long_name: Snow depth
- long_name: The identifier associated with a particular report type for this station
- long_name: The identifier type associated with a particular reporting capability for this station
- long_name: Thunder day flag
- long_name: WMO equivalent hour sunshine duration
- long_name: derived 24 hour sunshine
- long_name: first year of data associated with this id/id_type in this version of this dataset
- long_name: identifier type
- long_name: last year of data associated with this id/id_type in this version of this dataset
- long_name: message type
- long_name: midas qc version number
- long_name: state indicator for the record
- long_name: station identifier
- long_name: unique source identifier or station site number