Global Observatory of Lake Responses to Environmental Change (GloboLakes) was a project funded by the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) with the following grant references: NE/J023345/2, NE/J02211X/1, NE/J023396/1, NE/J021717/1 and NE/J022810/1.
This dataset contains the GloboLakes LSWT v4.0 of daily observations of Lake Surface Water Temperature (LSWT), its uncertainty and quality levels. The LSWTs are obtained by combining the orbit data from the AVHRR (Advanced Very High Resolution Radiometer) on MetOpA, AATSR (Advanced Along Track Scanning Radiometer) on Envisat and ATSR-2 (Along Track Scanning Radiometer) on ERS-2 (European Remote Sensing Satellite). The temperatures from the different instruments have been derived with the same algorithm and harmonised to insure consistency for the period 1995-2016. The GloboLakes LSWT v4.0 was produced by the University of Reading in 2018 for long term observations of surface water temperature for about 1000 lakes globally.
The dataset consist of two sets of files: 1) a single file per day on a 0.05° regular latitude- longitude grid covering the period from June 1995 to December 2016 (folder = daily), 2) a file per lake which contains the time series (daily) of the lake on a 0.05° regular grid (folder = per-lake). The list of the GloboLakes lakes is included as a CSV file and it contains name, GLWD identifier, coordinate of the lake centre and a set of coordinates that can be used to locate the lake in the daily-file dataset. The LSWTs consists of the daily observations of the temperature of the water (skin temperature). Uncertainty estimates and quality levels are provided for each value.
No news update for this record
|Previously used record identifiers:||
No related previous identifiers.
Access to these data is available to any registered CEDA user. Please Login or Register for an account to gain access.
Use of these data is covered by the following licence: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/version/3/. When using these data you must cite them correctly using the citation given on the CEDA Data Catalogue record.
Data were processed by the University of Reading within the GloboLakes project and deposited at the Centre for Environmental Data Analysis (CEDA) for archiving.
Data are as given by the data provider, no quality control has been performed by the Centre for Environmental Data Analysis (CEDA).
Data are NetCDF formatted and a metadata file describing the lake ID's and locations that is BADC-CSV formatted.
|ATSR2||Deployed on: European Remote Sensing satellite 2 - ERS-2|
|AATSR||Deployed on: Envisat|
|AVHRR series||Deployed on: Metop-A|
Mobile platform operations
|Mobile Platform Operation 1||Mobile Platform Operation for: Envisat|
|Mobile Platform Operation 2||Mobile Platform Operation for: Metop-A|
|Mobile Platform Operation 3||Mobile Platform Operation for: ERS-2|
- units: 1
- long_name: Lake ID
- standard_name: lake_identifier
- var_id: lakeid
- names: Lake ID, lake_identifier
- units: Kelvin
- long_name: Total uncertainty
- standard_name: lake_surface_water_temperature_uncertainty
- var_id: lswt_uncertainty
- names: Total uncertainty, lake_surface_water_temperature_uncertainty
- long_name: bias correction flag
- standard_name: instrument_bias_correction_flag
- var_id: flag_bias_correction
- names: bias correction flag, instrument_bias_correction_flag
- units: Kelvin
- long_name: lake surface skin temperature
- standard_name: lake_surface_water_temperature
- var_id: lake_surface_water_temperature
- names: lake surface skin temperature, lake_surface_water_temperature
- long_name: observation instruments
- standard_name: instrument_for_observation
- var_id: obs_instr
- names: instrument_for_observation, observation instruments
- var_id: quality_level
- long_name: quality levels
- standard_name: lake_surface_water_temperature_quality_level
- names: lake_surface_water_temperature_quality_level, quality levels
- units: degrees_north
- standard_name: latitude
- long_name: latitude
- var_id: lat
- names: latitude
- units: degrees_east
- standard_name: longitude
- long_name: longitude
- var_id: lon
- names: longitude
- standard_name: time
- var_id: time
- long_name: reference time of the lswt file
- names: time, reference time of the lswt file