The UK daily temperature data contain maximum and minimum temperatures (air, grass and concrete slab) measured over a period of up to 24 hours. The measurements were recorded by observation stations operated by the Met Office across the UK and transmitted within NCM, DLY3208 or AWSDLY messages. The data span from 1853 to 2017. For details on measurement techniques, including calibration information and changes in measurements, see section 5.2 of the MIDAS User Guide linked to from this record. Soil temperature data may be found in the UK soil temperature datasets linked from this record.
This dataset is part of the Midas-open dataset collection made available by the Met Office under the UK Open Government Licence, containing only UK mainland land surface observations owned or operated by Met Office. It is a subset of the fuller, restricted Met Office Integrated Data Archive System (MIDAS) Land and Marine Surface Stations dataset, also available through the Centre for Environmental Data Analysis - see the related dataset section on this record. Currently this represents approximately 95% of available daily temperature observations within the full MIDAS collection.
No news update for this record
|Previously used record identifiers:||
No related previous identifiers.
Access to these data is available to any registered CEDA user. Please Login or Register for an account to gain access.
Use of these data is covered by the following licence: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/version/3/. When using these data you must cite them correctly using the citation given on the CEDA Data Catalogue record.
Data collated by the Met Office and archived in the Met Office's MIDAS database. Data are extracted from a sub-set of available tables and delivered to Centre for Environmental Data Analysis (CEDA) approximately on a yearly basis.
Data undergo quality checking by the Met Office. State of the data in the quality control process and level of data quality are indicated using version numbers and quality control flagging with the data. See documentation about how to use the quality control flagging and version numbers. There are also some known data from commissioning trials in the data, which are given a src_id of 99999. These should be ignored by the user.
Data are BADC-CSV formatted.
|Thermometer||Deployed on: NCM (National Climate Message) Station Network|
|Thermometer||Deployed on: DLY3208 (Daily observations from Metform 3208) Station Network|
|Thermometer||Deployed on: AWSDLY (Automatic Weather Station Daily values) Station Network|
- long_name: Date and time at end of observation
- long_name: Met Office receipt stamp time
- long_name: The filename used for this station
- long_name: The identifier associated with a particular report type for this station
- long_name: The identifier type associated with a particular reporting capability for this station
- long_name: The name for this station
- long_name: The station elevation
- long_name: The station latitude (WGS84)
- long_name: The station longitude (WGS84)
- long_name: The unique MIDAS identifier for the station
- long_name: elapsed time to storage in MIDAS
- long_name: first year of data associated with this id/id_type in this version of this dataset
- long_name: first year of data associated with this station in this dataset
- long_name: identifier type
- long_name: last year of data associated with this id/id_type in this version of this dataset
- long_name: last year of data associated with this station in this dataset
- long_name: maximum air temperature
- long_name: maximum air temperature descriptor code
- long_name: maximum air temperature qc code
- long_name: message type
- long_name: midas qc version number
- long_name: minimum air temperature
- long_name: minimum air temperature descriptor code
- long_name: minimum air temperature qc code
- long_name: minimum concrete temperature
- long_name: minimum concrete temperature descriptor code
- long_name: minimum concrete temperature qc code
- long_name: minimum grass temperature
- long_name: minimum grass temperature descriptor code
- long_name: minimum grass temperature qc code
- long_name: observation hour count
- long_name: state indicator for the record
- long_name: station identifier
- long_name: the historic county this station is within
- long_name: unique MIDAS source identifier