This version of CRU TS is superseded by version 4.01. It is being made available to assist with users moving to the new process. No further releases of version 3 are planned.
The gridded CRU TS (time-series) 3.25 data are month-by-month variations in climate over the period 1901-2016, on high-resolution (0.5x0.5 degree) grids, produced by the Climatic Research Unit (CRU) at the University of East Anglia.
CRU TS 3.25 variables are cloud cover, diurnal temperature range, frost day frequency, PET, precipitation, daily mean temperature, monthly average daily maximum and minimum temperature, and vapour pressure for the period Jan. 1901 - Dec. 2016.
CRU TS 3.25 data were produced using the same methodology as for the 3.21, 3.22, 3.23 and 3.24.01 datasets. This version contains updates the dataset with 2016 data, some new stations have been added for TMP and PRE only. This release is the latest release of the CRU TS data. Known issues predating this release remain.
The CRU TS 3.25 data are monthly gridded fields based on monthly observational data, which are calculated from daily or sub-daily data by National Meteorological Services and other external agents. The ASCII and NetCDF data files both contain monthly mean values for the various parameters.
All CRU TS output files are actual values - NOT anomalies.
No news update for this record
|Previously used record identifiers:||
No related previous identifiers.
Access to these data is available to any registered CEDA user. Please Login or Register for an account to gain access.
Use of these data is covered by the following licence: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/version/3/. When using these data you must cite them correctly using the citation given on the CEDA Data Catalogue record.
CRU TS 3.00 data files acquired directly from CRU in 2007. CRU provided the BADC with software to generate the CRU datasets in 2010, and this was used to produce CRU TS 3.10 at the BADC in early 2011.
In July 2012, systematic errors were discovered in the CRUTS v3.10 process. The effect was, in some cases, to reduce the gridded values for PRE and therefore WET. Values of FRS were found to be unrealistic in some areas due to the algorithms used for synthetic generation. The files (pre, frs and wet) were immediately removed from BADC. The corrected run for precipitation, based on the v3.10 precipitation station data, was generated as a direct replacement and given the version number 3.10.01. There were no corrected runs produced for wet and frs.
CRU TS 3.20 was produced in December 2012.
CRU TS 3.21 was provided to CEDA for archival in July 2013 by CRU.
CRU TS 3.22 was provided to CEDA for archival in July 2014 by CRU.
CRU TS 3.23 was provided to CEDA in October 2015 by CRU.
CRU TS 3.24 was provided to CEDA for archival in July 2016. This version CRU TSv3.24 has been withdrawn due to quality issues.
CRU TS 3.24.01 was provided to CEDA for archival in January 2017.
CRU TS 3.25 was provided to CEDA for archival in September 2017. This is the latest version available and is a replacement of the withdrawn dataset 3.24.01, it supersedes all previous data versions (which are available to allow user comparisons)
The data are quality controlled by the Climatic Research Unit (CRU) at the University of East Anglia. Details are given in the paper Harries et al. 2014 and the release notes, links to both can be found in the documentation.
Data are provided in ASCII and NetCDF formats.
|Title||UEA Climate Research Unit (CRU) High Resolution gridding software deployed on UEA Climate Research Unit (CRU) computer system|
|Abstract||This computation involved: UEA Climate Research Unit (CRU) High Resolution gridding software deployed on UEA Climate Research Unit (CRU) computer system. For details about the production of CRU TS and CRU CY datasets, please refer to Harris et al. (2014) - see link below.|
- long_name: Air Temperature
- gcmd_name: Air Temperature
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0027
- names: Air Temperature, http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0027
- long_name: Atmospheric Phenomena
- gcmd_name: Atmospheric Phenomena
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P131/4/GTER0022
- names: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P131/4/GTER0022, Atmospheric Phenomena
- long_name: Atmospheric Temperature
- gcmd_name: Atmospheric Temperature
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P131/4/GTER0025
- names: Atmospheric Temperature, http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P131/4/GTER0025
- long_name: Atmospheric Water Vapor
- gcmd_name: Atmospheric Water Vapor
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P131/4/GTER0026
- names: Atmospheric Water Vapor, http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P131/4/GTER0026
- long_name: Cloud Amount
- names: Cloud Amount
- long_name: Cloud Cover
- names: Cloud Cover
- long_name: Clouds
- gcmd_name: EARTH SCIENCE > Atmosphere > Clouds
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P041/4/H333
- names: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P041/4/H333, EARTH SCIENCE > Atmosphere > Clouds
- long_name: Frequency
- names: Frequency
- long_name: Frost
- gcmd_name: EARTH SCIENCE > Atmosphere > Atmospheric Phenomena > Frost
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P041/4/G177
- names: EARTH SCIENCE > Atmosphere > Atmospheric Phenomena > Frost, http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P041/4/G177
- long_name: Maximum
- names: Maximum
- long_name: Minimum Temperature
- names: Minimum Temperature
- long_name: Precipitation
- gcmd_name: EARTH SCIENCE > Atmosphere > Precipitation
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P041/4/H334
- names: EARTH SCIENCE > Atmosphere > Precipitation, http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P041/4/H334
- long_name: Precipitation Amount
- gcmd_name: Precipitation Amount
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0656
- names: Precipitation Amount, http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0656
- long_name: Vapour Pressure
- names: Vapour Pressure
- long_name: Water Vapor
- gcmd_name: Water Vapor
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0943
- names: Water Vapor, http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0943