The ESA Sea Surface Temperature Climate Change Initiative (ESA SST CCI) dataset accurately maps the surface temperature of the global oceans over the period 1991 to 2010 using observations from many satellites. The data provides an independently quantified SST to a quality suitable for climate research.
The GHRSST Multi-Product Ensemble (GMPE) dataset is an ensemble median of the ESA SST CCI spatially complete analysis with other level 4 SST analysis products. Anomalies of the analyses relative to the median, and the ensemble standard deviation are also provided.
All the data in the GMPE files are regridded onto a common 0.25 degree regular latitude longitude grid and there are
SST fields for each day. The GMPE for the ESA SST CCI long term product covers the period September 1991 to December
2010. GMPE files are also available for ESA SST CCI demonstration product 1 (which covers June to August 2007).
2020-04-29 Please note - this data covers the first version of the CCI GMPE data. For a short period of time, the version 2 data were al… Show More 2020-04-29 Please note - this data covers the first version of the CCI GMPE data. For a short period of time, the version 2 data were also accidentally linked under this data path. The data have now been separated into CDR_V1 and CDR_V2 directories, and the path linked back to the original version 1 data only. The Version 2 data is available via a separate dataset (see related records) Show Less
|Previously used record identifiers:||
No related previous identifiers.
Public data: access to these data is available to both registered and non-registered users.
Use of these data is covered by the following licence: http://licences.ceda.ac.uk/image/data_access_condition/esacci_sst_terms_and_conditions.pdf. When using these data you must cite them correctly using the citation given on the CEDA Data Catalogue record.
Data were processed and supplied to the NEODC by the ESA CCI SST project team.
The GMPE is formed of daily NetCDF files containing various fields including the median of the ensemble, the anomaly of each ensemble member from that median and the SST gradients from each product. Where we do not have permission to redistribute data, the anomaly and gradient fields are filled with the missing data indicator (which is found in the _FillValue attribute to the variables and is set to -32768). The median_type variable, which reveals which analysis supplied the median at each location, has also been filled with the missing data value. File names for the GMPE files are in the form 20101231120000-UKMO-L4_GHRSST-SST-GMPEREAN-GLOB-v02.0-fv02.0.nc.The first eight digits give the year (first four digits) followed by the month and the day (two digits each). For the period June to August 2007 there are GMPE files that contain the ESA SST CCI demonstration product 1 in addition to the analyses compared over the full period of the long term product. These have GLOB_DM in their file names in place of GLOB.
More Information (under review)
To download these data, you are invited to register as a NEODC user. This online registration only takes a few minutes.
The authors request an acknowledgement of the data source (cite both citation above and
- long_name: Anomaly of input analyses from the ensemble median
- var_id: anomaly_fields
- units: kelvin
- names: Anomaly of input analyses from the ensemble median
- long_name: Fields number
- var_id: fields
- names: Fields number
- long_name: Fields number plus one
- var_id: fieldsp1
- names: Fields number plus one
- var_id: gradient_fields
- units: kelvin m-1
- long_name: Horizontal SST gradients of input analyses
- names: Horizontal SST gradients of input analyses
- long_name: Index of analysis which is the ensemble median
- var_id: median_type
- names: Index of analysis which is the ensemble median
- long_name: Length of string array for names of inputs
- var_id: field_name_length
- names: Length of string array for names of inputs
- long_name: Number of contributing analyses
- var_id: analysis_number
- names: Number of contributing analyses
- var_id: standard_deviation
- units: kelvin
- long_name: Standard deviation of input analyses
- names: Standard deviation of input analyses
- long_name: median SST from GMPE
- standard_name: sea_surface_foundation_temperature
- var_id: analysed_sst
- units: kelvin
- names: median SST from GMPE, sea_surface_foundation_temperature
- long_name: name of the contributing L4 analyses
- var_id: field_name
- names: name of the contributing L4 analyses
- standard_name: latitude
- var_id: lat
- units: degrees_north
- names: latitude
- var_id: lon
- units: degrees_east
- standard_name: longitude
- names: longitude
- long_name: reference time of sst field
- standard_name: time
- var_id: time
- names: time, reference time of sst field