The UK daily rainfall data contain rainfall accumulation and precipitation amounts over a 24 hour period. The data were collected by observation stations operated by the Met Office across the UK and transmitted within the following message types: NCM, AWSDLY, DLY3208 and SSER. The data spans from 1853 to 2017. Over time a range of rain gauges have been used - see section 5.6 and the relevant message type information in the linked MIDAS User Guide for further details.
This dataset is part of the Midas-open dataset collection made available by the Met Office under the UK Open Government Licence, containing only UK mainland land surface observations owned or operated by Met Office. It is a subset of the fuller, restricted Met Office Integrated Data Archive System (MIDAS) Land and Marine Surface Stations dataset, also available through the Centre for Environmental Data Analysis - see the related dataset section on this record. A large proportion of the UK raingauge observing network (associated with WAHRAIN, WADRAIN and WAMRAIN for hourly, daily and monthly rainfall measurements respectively) is operated by other agencies beyond the Met Office, and are consequently currently excluded from the Midas-open dataset. Currently this represents approximately 13% of available daily rainfall observations within the full MIDAS collection.
No news update for this record
|Previously used record identifiers:||
No related previous identifiers.
Access to these data is available to any registered CEDA user. Please Login or Register for an account to gain access.
Use of these data is covered by the following licence: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/version/3/. When using these data you must cite them correctly using the citation given on the CEDA Data Catalogue record.
Data collated by the Met Office and archived in the Met Office's MIDAS database. Data are extracted from a sub-set of available tables and delivered to Centre for Environmental Data Analysis (CEDA) approximately on a yearly basis.
Data undergo quality checking by the Met Office. State of the data in the quality control process and level of data quality are indicated using version numbers and quality control flagging with the data. See documentation about how to use the quality control flagging and version numbers. There are also some known data from commissioning trials in the data, which are given a src_id of 99999. These should be ignored by the user.
Data are BADC-CSV formatted
|Information on versioning in MIDAS data|
|MIDAS User Guide version v20200921|
|Met Office Fact sheet 17 Weather observations over land|
|MIDAS Open User Guide|
The following citations have been automatically harvested from external sources associated with this resource where DOI tracking is possible. As such some citations may be missing from this list whilst others may not be accurate. Please contact the helpdesk to raise any issues to help refine these citation trackings.
|Barker, L. J., Hannaford, J., Parry, S., Smith, K. A., Tanguy, M., & Prudhomme, C. (2019). Historic hydrological droughts 1891â2015: systematic characterisation for a diverse set of catchments across theÂ UK. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 23(11), 4583â4602. https://doi.org/10.5194/hess-23-4583-2019|
- long_name: Date of observation
- long_name: Descriptor: precipitation amount
- long_name: Elapsed time to storage in MIDAS
- long_name: Met Office receipt stamp time
- long_name: Observation day count
- long_name: Precipitation amount
- long_name: QC code: observation day count
- long_name: QC code: precipitation amount
- long_name: The filename used for this station
- long_name: The identifier associated with a particular report type for this station
- long_name: The identifier type associated with a particular reporting capability for this station
- long_name: The name for this station
- long_name: The station elevation
- long_name: The station latitude (WGS84)
- long_name: The station longitude (WGS84)
- long_name: The unique MIDAS identifier for the station
- long_name: clock time at end of observation as HHMM
- long_name: first year of data associated with this id/id_type in this version of this dataset
- long_name: first year of data associated with this station in this dataset
- long_name: identifier type
- long_name: last year of data associated with this id/id_type in this version of this dataset
- long_name: last year of data associated with this station in this dataset
- long_name: message type
- long_name: midas qc version number
- long_name: state indicator for the record
- long_name: station identifier
- long_name: the historic county this station is within
- long_name: unique source identifier or station site number