Version 0 processing of data from the Natural Environment Research Council's (NERC) Mesosphere-Stratosphere-Troposphere (MST) Radar near Aberystwyth in West Wales represents processing scheme in place from the early 1990s until 2007. The principal measurements made by the MST radar are of the three dimensional wind vector over the altitude range 2 - 20 km, with additional measurements from the mesophere between 65 and 80 km.
The data in this dataset include echo power as well as radial and vector winds components.
Surface meteorological measurements from the radar site, ceilometer data, sky camera images and wind speed and direction recorded from a 10m tower located 6km away are also available.
Other instruments at the facility have included one of the Met Office's boundary layer wind profilers and NCAS's boundary layer wind profiler.
No news update for this record
|Previously used record identifiers:||
Access to these data is available to any registered CEDA user. Please Login or Register for an account to gain access.
Use of these data is covered by the following licence: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/version/3/. When using these data you must cite them correctly using the citation given on the CEDA Data Catalogue record.
Data are acquired by the MST radar facility and sent to the BADC within an hour of acquisition. Data are then immediately ingested into the BADC archives.
The MST radar data quality is described by D. A. Hooper, J. Nash, T. Oakley, and M. Turp. Validation of a new signal processing scheme for the MST radar at Aberystwyth. Ann. Geophys., 26(11):3253-3268, 2008. (available from here http://www.ann-geophys.net/26/3253/2008/angeo-26-3253-2008.html)
|MST radar facility instrument performance log|
|NERC: Mesosphere-Stratosphere-Troposphere (MST) Radar||Deployed on: Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) Mesosphere-Stratosphere-Troposphere (MST) Radar Facility, Capel Dewi, UK|
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0068
- gcmd_name: Atmospheric Stability
- long_name: Atmospheric Stability
- names: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0068, Atmospheric Stability
- long_name: Spectral Width
- names: Spectral Width
- gcmd_name: Surface Winds
- long_name: Surface Winds
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0853
- names: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0853, Surface Winds
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P041/4/G128
- gcmd_name: EARTH SCIENCE > Atmosphere > Altitude > Tropopause
- long_name: Tropopause
- names: EARTH SCIENCE > Atmosphere > Altitude > Tropopause, http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P041/4/G128
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P041/4/G251
- gcmd_name: EARTH SCIENCE > Atmosphere > Atmospheric Winds > Turbulence
- long_name: Turbulence
- names: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P041/4/G251, EARTH SCIENCE > Atmosphere > Atmospheric Winds > Turbulence
- long_name: U Zonal Windspeed
- names: U Zonal Windspeed
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0909
- gcmd_name: Upper Level Winds
- long_name: Upper Level Winds
- names: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0909, Upper Level Winds
- long_name: V Meridional Windspeed
- names: V Meridional Windspeed
- gcmd_name: Vertical Wind Motion
- long_name: Vertical Wind Motion
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0920
- names: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0920, Vertical Wind Motion
- long_name: Vertical Windspeed
- names: Vertical Windspeed
- long_name: Wind Direction
- names: Wind Direction
- long_name: Windspeed
- names: Windspeed