ESA Soil Moisture Climate Change Initiative (Soil_Moisture_cci): 'Combined' Product, Version 04.2
The Soil Moisture CCI 'Combined' dataset is one of the three datasets created as part of the European Space Agency's (ESA) Soil Moisture Essential Climate Variable (ECV) CCI project. The product has been created by merging the "Active" and "Passive" datasets which were created for the project, these being respectively fusions of scatterometer and radiometer soil moisture products derived from the AMI-WS, ASCAT, SMMR, SSM/I, TMI, AMSR-E, WindSat, AMSR2 and SMOS satellite instruments.
The v04.2 Combined product, provided as global daily images in NetCDF-4 classic file format, presents a global coverage of surface soil moisture at a spatial resolution of 0.25 degrees. It is provided in volumetric units [m3 m-3] and covers the period (yyyy-mm-dd) 1978-11-01 to 2016-12-31. For information regarding the theoretical and algorithmic base of the product, please see the Algorithm Theoretical Baseline Document. Other additional reference documents and information relating to the dataset can also be found on the CCI Soil Moisture project web site or within the Product Specification Document.
The data set should be cited using all three of the following references:
1. Dorigo, W.A., Wagner, W., Albergel, C., Albrecht, F., Balsamo, G., Brocca, L., Chung, D., Ertl, M., Forkel, M., Gruber, A., Haas, E., Hamer, D. P. Hirschi, M., Ikonen, J., De Jeu, R. Kidd, R. Lahoz, W., Liu, Y.Y., Miralles, D., Lecomte, P. (2017). ESA CCI Soil Moisture for improved Earth system understanding: State-of-the art and future directions. In Remote Sensing of Environment, 2017, ISSN 0034-4257, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2017.07.001
2. Gruber, A., Dorigo, W. A., Crow, W., Wagner W. (2017). Triple Collocation-Based Merging of Satellite Soil Moisture Retrievals. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing. PP. 1-13. 10.1109/TGRS.2017.2734070
3. Liu, Y.Y., Dorigo, W.A., Parinussa, R.M., de Jeu, R.A.M. , Wagner, W., McCabe, M.F., Evans, J.P., van Dijk, A.I.J.M. (2012). Trend-preserving blending of passive and active microwave soil moisture retrievals, Remote Sensing of Environment, 123, 280-297, doi: 10.1016/j.rse.2012.03.014
2018-06-29 This dataset forms part of the v04.2 Soil Moisture dataset (doi: 10.5285/3a8a94c3fa464d68b6d70df291afd457 https://doi.org/10.52… Show More 2018-06-29 This dataset forms part of the v04.2 Soil Moisture dataset (doi: 10.5285/3a8a94c3fa464d68b6d70df291afd457 https://doi.org/10.5285/3a8a94c3fa464d68b6d70df291afd457) Show Less
|Previously used record identifiers:||
No related previous identifiers.
Public data: access to these data is available to both registered and non-registered users.
Use of these data is covered by the following licence: http://artefacts.ceda.ac.uk/licences/specific_licences/esacci_soilmoisture_terms_and_conditions.pdf. When using these data you must cite them correctly using the citation given on the CEDA Data Catalogue record.
Data were processed by the ESA CCI Soil Moisture project team and transferred to CEDA for the ESA CCI Open Data Portal Project.
as provided by the CCI Soil Moisture team
Data are in NetCDF format
- var_id: dnflag
- long_name: Day / Night Flag
- long_name: Flag
- var_id: flag
- var_id: freqbandID
- long_name: Frequency Band Identification
- var_id: t0
- long_name: Observation Timestamp
- long_name: Satellite Mode
- var_id: mode
- var_id: sensor
- long_name: Sensor
- var_id: sm
- long_name: Volumetric Soil Moisture
- units: m3 m-3
- var_id: sm_uncertainty
- long_name: Volumetric Soil Moisture Uncertainty
- units: m3 m-3
- units: degrees_north
- var_id: lat
- standard_name: latitude
- standard_name: longitude
- units: degrees_east
- var_id: lon
- var_id: time
- standard_name: time