The European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF) has provided global atmospheric analyses from its archive for many years. The ERA-15 Re-analysis project was devised in response to wishes expressed by many users for a data set generated by a modern, consistent, and invariant data assimilation system. The ERA-15 project produced a long time-series (January 1979 - February 1994) of consistent meteorological analyses using a single version of the ECMWF model.
This dataset contains surface orography data. These data are available in gaussian N80 gridded, lat-long (2.5 degree) gridded and spectral form, from the initialised and uninitialised datasets (N.B. initialised spectral is missing at the moment).
Note that the grid-point orography files change with date. This does not affect the ERA period but if you use Operational data for later dates you will need
to use the different orography files from our ecmwf-op directory.
The spectral orography file spor90010100 contains just the orography data (surface geopotential).
The other files contain the constant fields:
Geopotential (at the surface, orography)
Standard deviation of orography
Anisotropy of subgrid scale orography
Angle of subgrid scale orography
Slope of subgrid scale orography
gpor79010100 contains the gaussian gridded data
llor80010100 contains the 2.5 degree gridded data
No news update for this record
|Previously used record identifiers:||
No related previous identifiers.
Access to these data is available to any registered CEDA user. Please Login or Register for an account to gain access.
Use of these data is covered by the following licence: http://licences.ceda.ac.uk/image/data_access_condition/ecmwf-era-products.pdf. When using these data you must cite them correctly using the citation given on the CEDA Data Catalogue record.
Data were extracted from European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF) MARS system and transferred to BADC where they were ingested into the archive.
See http://www.ecmwf.int/products/data/technical/deficiencies/era15.html for details of known issues with the ERA-15 dataset. Note: for file giua81111712 the GRIB messages (i.e. q at level 22) was corrupted and so that message was replaced with one from the day before to enable users' scripts to run utilising the contents of the directory
Data are GRIB 1 formatted.
|Encoding and decoding GRIB data (GRIBEX)|
|Title||ERA-15 data assimilation system deployed on ECMWF Computer|
|Abstract||This computation involved: ERA-15 data assimilation system deployed on ECMWF Computer. The aim of the ECMWF Re-Analysis (ERA) project was to produce a long time-series of consistent meteorological analyses using a single version of the ECMWF model.|
- long_name: Albedo
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P041/4/G199
- gcmd_keyword: EARTH SCIENCE > Atmosphere > Atmospheric Radiation > Albedo
- names: EARTH SCIENCE > Atmosphere > Atmospheric Radiation > Albedo, http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P041/4/G199
- long_name: Angle Of Sub Grid Scaleorography
- names: Angle Of Sub Grid Scaleorography
- long_name: Anisotropy Of Sub Grid Scale Orography
- names: Anisotropy Of Sub Grid Scale Orography
- long_name: Geopotential (At The Surface, Orography)
- names: Geopotential (At The Surface, Orography)
- long_name: Land
- names: Land
- long_name: Landforms
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P041/4/G793
- gcmd_keyword: EARTH SCIENCE > Land Surface > Topography > Landforms
- names: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P041/4/G793, EARTH SCIENCE > Land Surface > Topography > Landforms
- long_name: Logarithm Of Surface Roughness Length For Heat
- names: Logarithm Of Surface Roughness Length For Heat
- long_name: Percentage Of Vegetation
- names: Percentage Of Vegetation
- long_name: Sea Mask
- names: Sea Mask
- long_name: Slope Of Sub-Grid Scale Orography
- names: Slope Of Sub-Grid Scale Orography
- long_name: Standard Deviation Of Orography
- names: Standard Deviation Of Orography
- long_name: Surface Roughness
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0851
- gcmd_keyword: Surface Roughness
- names: Surface Roughness, http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0851
- long_name: Thermal Properties
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0868
- gcmd_keyword: Thermal Properties
- names: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0868, Thermal Properties