ESA Soil Moisture Climate Change Initiative (Soil_Moisture_cci): ACTIVE Product, Version 04.7
The Soil Moisture CCI ACTIVE dataset is one of the three datasets created as part of the European Space Agency's (ESA) Soil Moisture Essential Climate Variable (ECV) Climate Change Initiative (CCI) project. The product has been created by fusing scatterometer soil moisture products, derived from the instruments AMI-WS and ASCAT. PASSIVE and COMBINED products have also been created.
The v04.7 ACTIVE product, provided as global daily images in NetCDF-4 classic file format, presents a global coverage of surface soil moisture at a spatial resolution of 0.25 degrees. It covers the period 1991-08-05 to 2019-12-31 and is expressed in percent of saturation [%]. For information regarding the theoretical and algorithmic base of the product, please see the Algorithm Theoretical Baseline Document. Other additional reference documents and information relating to the dataset can also be found on the CCI Soil Moisture project web site or within the Product Specification Document.
The data set should be cited using all three of the following references:
1. Gruber, A., Scanlon, T., van der Schalie, R., Wagner, W., and Dorigo, W. (2019). Evolution of the ESA CCI Soil Moisture climate data records and their underlying merging methodology, Earth Syst. Sci. Data, 11, 717–739, https://doi.org/10.5194/essd-11-717-2019
2. Dorigo, W.A., Wagner, W., Albergel, C., Albrecht, F., Balsamo, G., Brocca, L., Chung, D., Ertl, M., Forkel, M., Gruber, A., Haas, E., Hamer, D. P. Hirschi, M., Ikonen, J., De Jeu, R. Kidd, R. Lahoz, W., Liu, Y.Y., Miralles, D., Lecomte, P. (2017). ESA CCI Soil Moisture for improved Earth system understanding: State-of-the art and future directions. In Remote Sensing of Environment, 2017, ISSN 0034-4257, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2017.07.001
3. Gruber, A., Dorigo, W. A., Crow, W., Wagner W. (2017). Triple Collocation-Based Merging of Satellite Soil Moisture Retrievals. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing. PP. 1-13. 10.1109/TGRS.2017.2734070
2020-04-20 This dataset forms part of the v04.7 Soil Moisture dataset (doi:10.5285/0683e320d8634a37aa1d9ef62dd41a0d) https://dx.doi.org/1… Show More 2020-04-20 This dataset forms part of the v04.7 Soil Moisture dataset (doi:10.5285/0683e320d8634a37aa1d9ef62dd41a0d) https://dx.doi.org/10.5285/0683e320d8634a37aa1d9ef62dd41a0d Show Less
|Previously used record identifiers:||
No related previous identifiers.
Public data: access to these data is available to both registered and non-registered users.
Use of these data is covered by the following licence: http://artefacts.ceda.ac.uk/licences/specific_licences/esacci_soilmoisture_terms_and_conditions.pdf. When using these data you must cite them correctly using the citation given on the CEDA Data Catalogue record.
Data were processed by the ESA CCI Soil Moisture project team and transferred to CEDA for the ESA CCI Open Data Portal Project. This dataset forms part of the v04.7 Soil Moisture dataset (doi:10.5285/0683e320d8634a37aa1d9ef62dd41a0d) https://dx.doi.org/10.5285/0683e320d8634a37aa1d9ef62dd41a0d.
as provided by the CCI Soil Moisture team
Data are netCDF formatted.
|ASCAT||Deployed on: Metop-A|
|ASCAT||Deployed on: Metop-B|
|AMI-SCAT||Deployed on: ERS-1|
|AMI-SCAT||Deployed on: European Remote Sensing satellite 2 - ERS-2|
Mobile platform operations
|Mobile Platform Operation 1||Mobile Platform Operation for: Metop-A|
|Mobile Platform Operation 2||Mobile Platform Operation for: Metop-B|
|Mobile Platform Operation 3||Mobile Platform Operation for: ERS-2|
|Mobile Platform Operation 4||Mobile Platform Operation for: ERS-1|
Computation Element: 1
|Title||Algorithm for the ESA Soil Moisture Climate Change Initiative|
|Abstract||The ESA Soil Moisture Climate Change Initiative is deriving information on soil moisture from active and passive satellite sensors. For information on the algorithm see the Algorithm Theoretical Baseline Documents.|
- var_id: dnflag
- long_name: Day / Night Flag
- long_name: Flag
- var_id: flag
- var_id: freqbandID
- long_name: Frequency Band Identification
- var_id: t0
- long_name: Observation Timestamp
- long_name: Percent of Saturation Soil Moisture
- var_id: sm
- units: percent
- var_id: sm_uncertainty
- long_name: Percent of Saturation Soil Moisture Uncertainty
- units: percent
- long_name: Satellite Mode
- var_id: mode
- var_id: sensor
- long_name: Sensor
- units: degrees_north
- var_id: lat
- standard_name: latitude
- standard_name: longitude
- units: degrees_east
- var_id: lon
- var_id: time
- standard_name: time