Global and regional composite (Level 3) products of the MEdium Resolution Imaging Spectrometer (MERIS) Level 2 geophysical data are generated by the UK Multi-Mission Product Archive Facility (UK-MM-PAF)/Infoterra Ltd. One of these products: MERIS Terrestrial Chlorophyll Index (MTCI) data are available from NEODC. The products are in GEOTIFF format, on latitude-longitude geocoded grids, and are accompanied by an XML-metadata file and a JPEG browse image.
No news update for this record
|Previously used record identifiers:||
No related previous identifiers.
Restricted data: please submit an application using the REQUEST ACCESS link for access.
Use of these data is covered by the following licence: http://licences.ceda.ac.uk/image/data_access_condition/mtci.pdf. When using these data you must cite them correctly using the citation given on the CEDA Data Catalogue record.
These data were transferred to NEODC from Infoterra via File Transfer Protocol (FTP)
Data are gzipped tar files containing metadata (XML), preview image (JPEG) and L3 product (GeoTIFF).
Infoterra MERIS HiProGen system to generate L3 composites of MERIS L2 data deployed on unknown computer
This computation involved: Infoterra MERIS HiProGen system to generate L3 composites of MERIS L2 data deployed on unknown computer. Infoterra Ltd, backed by the European Space Agency (ESA) and the British National Space Centre (BNSC), has set up a Level 3 product generation and dissemination service.
The production service is based around the High level Product Generation (HiProGen) system which was initially developed under an ESA funded Research and Technology Development contract. Upgraded to use Near Real-Time data and to work in the UK-PAC operational environment, the HiProGen system is now generating Level 3 composites of MERIS Level 2 geophysical data. Level 3 products are generated in GeoTIFF format, on lat-long geocoded grids, accompanied by an XML metadata file and a JPEG browse image.
The Infoterra Level 3 production service combines individual passes (or swathes) of data from satellite instruments into single composite products. These Level 3 composites generated at global and regional scales using two distinct types of compositing algorithm. At the global scale, large (nominally 4.6km) sample sizes are used with each input Level 2 pixel accumulated into a geographic 'bin'. This is the standard form of compositing carried out where the output bin is much larger than the size of the input instrument samples. Unfortunately at higher scales, where the input and output sample sizes are comparable, the input samples overlap several cells of the output grid to a significant degree. If this is not taken into account then both the fine scale values and the overall product statistics are distorted (i.e. the final product is not flux conserving).
For the regional products, with nominal sample spacings of 1km or less, an area weighted, flux conserving compositing algorithm is used. This algorithm was developed by Tom McGlynn of NASA.
The HiProGen Level 3 Production system makes use of the Basic ENVISAT (A)ATSR and MERIS (BEAM) toolkit. Mathematically, different input data values are combined using a Maximum Likelihood, Arithmetic Mean or Min-Max algorithm. The Infoterra service uses the arithmetic mean algorithm for all Level 3 product generation.
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P041/4/G328
- gcmd_keyword: EARTH SCIENCE > Biosphere > Ecological Dynamics > Biomass
- long_name: Biomass
- names: EARTH SCIENCE > Biosphere > Ecological Dynamics > Biomass, http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P041/4/G328
- long_name: Canopy Characteristics
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0109
- gcmd_keyword: Canopy Characteristics
- names: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0109, Canopy Characteristics
- long_name: Carbon
- gcmd_keyword: EARTH SCIENCE > Agriculture > Soils > Carbon
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P041/4/G053
- names: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P041/4/G053, EARTH SCIENCE > Agriculture > Soils > Carbon
- long_name: Chlorophyll
- gcmd_keyword: EARTH SCIENCE > Biosphere > Microbiota > Chlorophyll
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P041/4/G377
- names: EARTH SCIENCE > Biosphere > Microbiota > Chlorophyll, http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P041/4/G377
- gcmd_keyword: EARTH SCIENCE > Biosphere > Vegetation > Crown
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P041/4/G421
- long_name: Crown
- names: EARTH SCIENCE > Biosphere > Vegetation > Crown, http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P041/4/G421
- long_name: Deciduous Vegetation
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0195
- gcmd_keyword: Deciduous Vegetation
- names: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0195, Deciduous Vegetation
- long_name: Ecological Dynamics
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P131/4/GTER0034
- gcmd_keyword: Ecological Dynamics
- names: Ecological Dynamics, http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P131/4/GTER0034
- gcmd_keyword: Evergreen Vegetation
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0268
- long_name: Evergreen Vegetation
- names: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0268, Evergreen Vegetation
- gcmd_keyword: Exotic Vegetation
- long_name: Exotic Vegetation
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0271
- names: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0271, Exotic Vegetation
- long_name: Forest Composition
- names: Forest Composition
- long_name: Photosynthesis
- gcmd_keyword: EARTH SCIENCE > Biosphere > Ecological Dynamics > Photosynthesis
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P041/4/G353
- names: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P041/4/G353, EARTH SCIENCE > Biosphere > Ecological Dynamics > Photosynthesis
- long_name: Photosynthetically Active Radiation
- gcmd_keyword: Photosynthetically Active Radiation
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0627
- names: Photosynthetically Active Radiation, http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0627
- long_name: Plant Commodities
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P131/4/GTER0085
- gcmd_keyword: Plant Commodities
- names: Plant Commodities, http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P131/4/GTER0085
- gcmd_keyword: EARTH SCIENCE > Biosphere > Vegetation
- long_name: Vegetation
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P041/4/H344
- names: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P041/4/H344, EARTH SCIENCE > Biosphere > Vegetation
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0915
- gcmd_keyword: Vegetation Cover
- long_name: Vegetation Cover
- names: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0915, Vegetation Cover
- long_name: Vegetation Index
- gcmd_keyword: Vegetation Index
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0916
- names: Vegetation Index, http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0916
- long_name: Vegetation Structure
- names: Vegetation Structure