TOVS data onboard POES (1978-1998)
These data consist of sets of 3-dimensional gridpoint analyses of the stratosphere which are produced by the Met Office using data from the TIROS Operational Vertical Sounder (TOVS) instruments onboard the NOAA (National Ocean and Atmospheric Administration) operational polar orbiters. TOVS consists of 3 instruments, the Stratospheric Sounding Unit (SSU) the Microwave Sounding Unit (MSU) and the High Resolution Infrared Sounder (HIRS). Daily radiance and geopotential height data are available on a 5 degree latitude / longitude global grid from December 1978 to April 1997. Software is provided to derive potential vorticity. Access permission required so that PI can monitor usage of data.
No news update for this record
|Previously used record identifiers:||
Restricted data: please submit an application using the REQUEST ACCESS link for access.
Use of these data is covered by the following licence: http://licences.ceda.ac.uk/image/data_access_condition/ukmo_agreement.pdf. When using these data you must cite them correctly using the citation given on the CEDA Data Catalogue record.
VMS files originally supplied to the BADC by the Met Office. Later data were supplied in the PP format.
See dataset associated documentation.
The monthly data files are held at the BADC in the original VMS binary data format in which the data are encoded into 2-byte integer arrays, in records which contain a single day's data. The simplicity of the data format allows the data to be read on a wide variety of computer platforms with only very minor changes to the access routines. See documentation links for further information on these formats.
|PP binary format documentation|
|TOVS format documentation|
Mobile platform operations
|Mobile Platform Operation 1||Mobile Platform Operation for: NOAA Polar Orbiting environmental satellites (POES)|
- long_name: Air Temperature
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0027
- gcmd_keyword: Air Temperature
- names: Air Temperature, http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0027
- long_name: Brightness Temperature
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0104
- gcmd_keyword: Brightness Temperature
- names: Brightness Temperature, http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0104
- long_name: Geopotential Height
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0341
- gcmd_keyword: Geopotential Height
- names: Geopotential Height, http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0341
- long_name: Height
- names: Height