ESA Sea Surface Salinity Climate Change Initiative (Sea_Surface_Salinity_cci): Monthly Sea Surface Salinity product v1.8
This dataset provides monthly Sea Surface Salinity (SSS) data derived as part of the European Space Agency (ESA) Climate Change Initiative (CCI) programme. In this product the data has been produced at a spatial resolution of 25km and a time resolution of 1 month. This has then been spatially resampled on a 25km EASE (Equal Area Scalable Earth) grid and 15 days of time sampling. A monthly product is also available.
This first version of the CCI+SSS products is a preliminary version issued for evaluation purposes by voluntary scientists and for framing future CCI+SSS products. This product has not been fully validated yet and may contain flaws. In case you discover some, the CCI salinity team (Mngt_CCI-Salinity@argans.co.uk) are very keen to get your feedback. In case you would like to use them in a presentation or publication, please be aware of the following caveats:
- The SSS random error in the weekly product is overestimated by a factor ~1.4.
- The Number of outliers is wrongly set to 'NaN' in the case where it is equal to zero.
- Products have not yet been not optimised for some issues encountered at high latitudes (i.e. remaining ice, RFI pollution, biases due to land-sea contamination and dielectric constant in cold waters).
- The criteria for flagging data close to land (including islands) are conservative and likely to be too restrictive in places.
- There is a systematic global underestimation (-0.08) of SSS starting at the beginning of the data set, and gradually disappearing at the end of 2010.
- There is a seasonal varying bias (~0.1, peaking in the middle of the year) in the Pacific North of 25°N.
Acknowledgements: The authors thank the CCI+ SSS validation team, in particular S. Guimbard (ODL) and A. Martin (NOC), for their feedback on the products, R. Catany (ARGANS) for managing the project and P. Cipollini and C. Donlon (ESA) for their sound advice.
2019-11-25 This dataset forms part of the ESA CCI Sea Surface Salinity Version 1.8 dataset collection (doi: 10.5285/9ef0ebf847564c2eabe62… Show More 2019-11-25 This dataset forms part of the ESA CCI Sea Surface Salinity Version 1.8 dataset collection (doi: 10.5285/9ef0ebf847564c2eabe62cac4899ec41 https://doi.org/10.5285/9ef0ebf847564c2eabe62cac4899ec41) Show Less
|Previously used record identifiers:||
No related previous identifiers.
Public data: access to these data is available to both registered and non-registered users.
Use of these data is covered by the following licence: https://artefacts.ceda.ac.uk/licences/specific_licences/esacci_salinity_terms_and_conditions.pdf. When using these data you must cite them correctly using the citation given on the CEDA Data Catalogue record.
Data are provided by the Sea Surface Salinity project as part of the ESA Climate Change Initiative programme.
Data are as provided by the CCI Sea Surface Salinity project. See the information in the abstract.
Data are netCDF formatted.
|MIRAS||Deployed on: SMOS|
|SMAP||Deployed on: SMAP|
|Aquarius||Deployed on: SAC-D|
Mobile platform operations
|Mobile Platform Operation 1||SMOS satellite orbit details|
Computation Element: 1
|Title||CCI Sea Surface Salinity retrieval|
|Abstract||ESA CCI Sea Surface Salinity ECV Data has been produced at a spatial resolution of 50 km spatially resampled on 25 km EASE grid with a) a time resolution of 1 week and 1 day of time sampling and b) a time resolution of 1 month and 15 days of time sampling. For details of the algorithm see the documentation from the CCI Sea Surface Salinity project.|
- long_name: Bias in Sea Surface Salinity
- var_id: sss_bias
- names: Bias in Sea Surface Salinity
- long_name: Count of the Number of Outliers within this bin cell
- var_id: noutliers
- names: Count of the Number of Outliers within this bin cell
- var_id: total_nobs
- long_name: Number of SSS in the time interval
- names: Number of SSS in the time interval
- units: %
- long_name: Percentage of Explained Sea Surface Salinity Variance by the Sea Surface Salinity Standard Error
- var_id: pct_var
- names: Percentage of Explained Sea Surface Salinity Variance by the Sea Surface Salinity Standard Error
- long_name: Sea Surface Salinity Quality, 0=Good; 1=Bad
- var_id: sss_qc
- names: Sea Surface Salinity Quality, 0=Good; 1=Bad
- long_name: Sea Surface Salinity Random Error
- var_id: sss_random_error
- names: Sea Surface Salinity Random Error
- long_name: Standard Deviation of the Bias in Sea Surface Salinity
- var_id: sss_bias_std
- names: Standard Deviation of the Bias in Sea Surface Salinity
- var_id: sss
- standard_name: sea_surface_salinity
- long_name: Unbiased merged Sea Surface Salinity
- names: sea_surface_salinity, Unbiased merged Sea Surface Salinity
- units: degrees_north
- standard_name: latitude
- long_name: latitude
- var_id: lat
- names: latitude
- units: degrees_east
- standard_name: longitude
- long_name: longitude
- var_id: lon
- names: longitude
- long_name: time
- standard_name: time
- var_id: time
- names: time