The global radiation observation data contain hourly and daily radiation amounts, including those no longer being reported. The measurements of global solar irradiation amount, diffuse solar irradiation amount, direct irradiation amount, irradiation balance amount, and global horizontal illumination are recorded by observation stations worldwide and transmitted within SYNOP, HCM, AWSHRLY, MODLERAD, ESAWRADT and DRADR35 messages. The data span from 1947 to present.
2017-04-12 Night time radiation values have been found to be suspect. Users are advised not to make use of these values. 2017-04-12 Night time radiation values have been found to be suspect. Users are advised not to make use of these values.
|Previously used record identifiers:||
Restricted data: please submit an application using the REQUEST ACCESS link for access.
Use of these data is covered by the following licence: http://licences.ceda.ac.uk/image/data_access_condition/ukmo_agreement.pdf. When using these data you must cite them correctly using the citation given on the CEDA Data Catalogue record.
Data collated by the Met Office and archived in the Met Office's MIDAS database. Data are extracted from a sub-set of available tables and delivered to BADC approximately on a monthly basis as flat files.
Data undergo quality checking by the Met Office. State of the data in the quality control process and level of data quality are indicated using version numbers and quality control flagging with the data. See documentation about how to use the quality control flagging and version numbers. There are also some known data from commissioning trials in the data, which are given a src_id of 99999. These should be ignored by the user.
Data are ASCII formatted
- long_name: Diffuse Solar Irradiation Amount
- names: Diffuse Solar Irradiation Amount
- long_name: Direct Solar Irradiation Amount
- names: Direct Solar Irradiation Amount
- long_name: Global Solar Irradiation Amount
- names: Global Solar Irradiation Amount
- long_name: Hourly Sunshine
- names: Hourly Sunshine
- long_name: Solar Irradiance
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0809
- gcmd_keyword: Solar Irradiance
- names: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0809, Solar Irradiance
- long_name: Sunshine
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P041/4/G217
- gcmd_keyword: EARTH SCIENCE > Atmosphere > Atmospheric Radiation > Sunshine
- names: EARTH SCIENCE > Atmosphere > Atmospheric Radiation > Sunshine, http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P041/4/G217
- long_name: Sunshine Amount
- names: Sunshine Amount