ESA Soil Moisture Climate Change Initiative (Soil_Moisture_cci): 'Combined' Product, Version 02.2
The Soil Moisture CCI 'Combined' dataset is one of the three datasets created as part of the European Space Agency's (ESA) Soil Moisture Essential Climate Variable (ECV) CCI project. The product has been created by merging the "Active" and "Passive" datasets which were created for the project, these being respectively fusions of scatterometer and radiometer soil moisture products derived from the AMI-WS, ASCAT, SMMR, SSM/I, TMI, AMSR-E, WindSat, and AMSR2 satellite instruments.
The v02.2 product, provided as global daily images in NetCDF-4 classic file format, presents a global coverage of surface soil moisture at a spatial resolution of 0.25 degrees. It is provided in volumetric units [m3 m-3] and covers the period (yyyy-mm-dd) 1978-11-01 to 2014-12-31. For information regarding the theoretical and algorithmic base of the product, please see the Algorithm Theoretical Baseline Document version 2.0 or the paper by Wagner 2012, both available in the documentation section. An overview of all known errors associated with it is provided in the Comprehensive Error Characterization Report. Other additional reference documents and information relating to the dataset can also be found on the CCI Soil Moisture project web site or within the Product Specification Document.
The data set should be cited using all three of the following references:
1. Liu, Y. Y., W. A. Dorigo, et al. (2012). "Trend-preserving blending of passive and active microwave soil moisture retrievals." Remote Sensing of Environment 123: 280-297.
2. Liu, Y. Y., Parinussa, R. M., Dorigo, W. A., De Jeu, R. A. M., Wagner, W., van Dijk, A. I. J. M., McCabe, M. F., Evans, J. P. (2011). Developing an improved soil moisture dataset by blending passive and active microwave satellite-based retrievals. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 15, 425-436
3. Wagner, W., W. Dorigo, R. de Jeu, D. Fernandez, J. Benveniste, E. Haas, M. Ertl (2012). Fusion of active and passive microwave observations to create an Essential Climate Variable data record on soil moisture. ISPRS Annals of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences (ISPRS Annals), Volume I-7, XXII ISPRS Congress, Melbourne, Australia, 25 August-1 September 2012, 315-321
2018-06-29 This dataset forms part of the v02.2 Soil Moisture dataset (doi:10.5285/3729b3fbbb434930bf65d82f9b00111c. http://dx.doi.org/10.… Show More 2018-06-29 This dataset forms part of the v02.2 Soil Moisture dataset (doi:10.5285/3729b3fbbb434930bf65d82f9b00111c. http://dx.doi.org/10.5285/3729b3fbbb434930bf65d82f9b00111c ) Show Less
|Previously used record identifiers:||
No related previous identifiers.
Public data: access to these data is available to both registered and non-registered users.
Use of these data is covered by the following licence: http://artefacts.ceda.ac.uk/licences/specific_licences/esacci_soilmoisture_terms_and_conditions.pdf. When using these data you must cite them correctly using the citation given on the CEDA Data Catalogue record.
Data were processed by the ESA CCI Soil Moisture project team and transferred to CEDA for the ESA CCI Open Data Portal Project.
as provided by the CCI Soil Moisture team
Data is in NetCDF 4
- long_name: Day(100) or Night(110) Flag
- var_id: dnflag
- names: Day(100) or Night(110) Flag
- var_id: flag
- long_name: Flag
- names: Flag
- long_name: Frequency Band
- var_id: freqband
- names: Frequency Band
- long_name: Observation Timestamp
- var_id: t0
- names: Observation Timestamp
- long_name: Satellite Mode
- var_id: mode
- names: Satellite Mode
- long_name: Sensor
- var_id: sensor
- names: Sensor
- var_id: sm
- units: m3 m-3
- long_name: Volumetric Soil Moisture
- names: Volumetric Soil Moisture
- var_id: sm_uncertainty
- units: m3 m-3
- long_name: Volumetric Soil Moisture Uncertainty
- names: Volumetric Soil Moisture Uncertainty
- units: degrees_north
- standard_name: latitude
- var_id: lat
- names: latitude
- units: degrees_east
- standard_name: longitude
- var_id: lon
- names: longitude
- standard_name: time
- var_id: time
- names: time