CRU TS3.00: Climatic Research Unit (CRU) Time-Series (TS) Version 3.00 of High Resolution Gridded Data of Month-by-month Variation in Climate (Jan. 1901 - Dec.2006)
The gridded CRU TS (time-series) 3.00 data are month-by-month variations in climate over the period 1901-2006, on high-resolution (0.5x0.5 degree) grids, produced by the Climatic Research Unit (CRU) at the University of East Anglia.
The CRU TS 3.00 variables include cloud cover, diurnal temperature range, frost day frequency, precipitation, daily mean temperature, monthly average daily maximum/min temperature, vapour pressure and wet day frequency.
The BADC holds the preliminary CRU TS3.00 datasets for the period 1901-2006. Note that these data are yearly files REGARDLESS of whether the data exists for the full year. In CRU TS3.00, the data up to 06/2006 *ONLY* has been used.
The CRU TS 3.00 data are monthly gridded fields based on monthly observational data, which are calculated from daily or sub-daily data by National Meteorological Services and other external agents. The ASCII and netcdf data files both contain monthly mean values for the various parameters.
All CRU TS output files are actual values - NOT anomalies.
CRU TS data are available for download to all CEDA users.
No news update for this record
|Previously used record identifiers:||
Access to these data is available to any registered CEDA user. Please Login or Register for an account to gain access.
Use of these data is covered by the following licence: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/version/3/. When using these data you must cite them correctly using the citation given on the CEDA Data Catalogue record.
CRU TS 3.00 data files acquired directly from CRU in 2007. CRU provided the BADC with software to generate the CRU datasets in 2010, and this was used to produce CRU TS 3.10 at the BADC in early 2011.
Please see Mitchell and Jones, 2005 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/joc.1181). The CRU TS3.00 files were produced by CRU and include data up to the end of 2006. However, only data up to June 2006 should be used. For dates later than this, any subsequent updates/corrections to the original data have not been included, so the values may be misleading. Please note, CRU TS 3.00 NetCDF data are experimental, not all attributes are correctly set yet. The data themselves should be identical to those in the ASCII versions. For CRU TS 3.10, the data have been examined in detail for consistency with CRU TS 3.00 by the CRU. Small differences may occur where additional station data have become available since CRU TS 3.00 was generated and are now included in the analysis. The data from the entire period 1901-2009 can be used, and all of the attributes in the NetCDF files are correctly set. For each new release of the CRU TS data, the underlying datasets have been improved. New stations have been added. Some stations have been removed for quality control purposes. This explains why data may not be exactly the same for a common time period.
The CRU TS 3.00 data (i.e. climate variables) are available in both compressed (.gz extension) ASCII ".dat" and netcdf ".nc" file formats. CRU TS 3.00 metadata files (i.e. stations) are available in ASCII. To understand how to read the CRU TS 3.00 data and metadata files, please refer to the CRU_TS_3.00_File_Formats_explained PDF documentation (under Linked Documentation below).
UEA Climatic Research Unit (CRU) High Resolution gridding software deployed on UEA Climatic Research Unit (CRU) computer system
This computation involved: UEA Climatic Research Unit (CRU) High Resolution gridding software deployed on UEA Climate Research Unit (CRU) computer system.
Metadata document Computer network to produce datasets at UEA CRU.
- long_name: Air Temperature
- gcmd_keyword: Air Temperature
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0027
- names: Air Temperature, http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0027
- long_name: Atmospheric Phenomena
- gcmd_keyword: Atmospheric Phenomena
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P131/4/GTER0022
- names: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P131/4/GTER0022, Atmospheric Phenomena
- long_name: Atmospheric Temperature
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P131/4/GTER0025
- gcmd_keyword: Atmospheric Temperature
- names: Atmospheric Temperature, http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P131/4/GTER0025
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P131/4/GTER0026
- gcmd_keyword: Atmospheric Water Vapor
- long_name: Atmospheric Water Vapor
- names: Atmospheric Water Vapor, http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P131/4/GTER0026
- long_name: Cloud Amount
- names: Cloud Amount
- long_name: Cloud Cover
- names: Cloud Cover
- gcmd_keyword: EARTH SCIENCE > Atmosphere > Clouds
- long_name: Clouds
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P041/4/H333
- names: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P041/4/H333, EARTH SCIENCE > Atmosphere > Clouds
- long_name: Frequency
- names: Frequency
- long_name: Frost
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P041/4/G177
- gcmd_keyword: EARTH SCIENCE > Atmosphere > Atmospheric Phenomena > Frost
- names: EARTH SCIENCE > Atmosphere > Atmospheric Phenomena > Frost, http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P041/4/G177
- long_name: Maximum
- names: Maximum
- long_name: Minimum Temperature
- names: Minimum Temperature
- gcmd_keyword: EARTH SCIENCE > Atmosphere > Precipitation
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P041/4/H334
- long_name: Precipitation
- names: EARTH SCIENCE > Atmosphere > Precipitation, http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P041/4/H334
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0656
- gcmd_keyword: Precipitation Amount
- long_name: Precipitation Amount
- names: Precipitation Amount, http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0656
- long_name: Vapour Pressure
- names: Vapour Pressure
- long_name: Water Vapor
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0943
- gcmd_keyword: Water Vapor
- names: Water Vapor, http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0943