Meteosat-7 and its predecessors were the first generation of earth observation dedicated geostationary satellites located at 36000 km above the intersection of the Equator and the Greenwich Meridian. Although superseded by MSG-1 (renamed Meteosat-8) in 2005, Meteosat-7 remained as back-up at 0o longitude until 14th June 2006. Meteosat-7 will be moved to 63oE longitude to continue coverage of the Indian Ocean and take over from Meteosat-5.
Meteosat-7 was launched by the European Space Agency and operated by Eumetsat.
This dataset contains thermal infra-red images from Meteosat Geostationary Satellites First Generation over Europe and North Atlantic.
No news update for this record
|Previously used record identifiers:||
Public data: access to these data is available to both registered and non-registered users.
Use of these data is covered by the following licence: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/version/3/. When using these data you must cite them correctly using the citation given on the CEDA Data Catalogue record.
The Data held at the BADC are images of that portion of the Meteosat view field encompassing Northern Atlantic, Europe and North Africa, in all available channels (visible, thermal and water vapour infra-red bands). From 11th of November 1999 until 31st October 2002 these images were daily mirrored from the Meteosat archive at the University of Nottingham. The images include zooms of Northern Atlantic and Europe in the visible band and are provided in JPEG format.
Images were received in this way until a technical fault at Nottingham resulted in the service being suspended.
Full-disc images of the Meteosat view field were subsequently received from the Eumetsat archive in Germany. Jpeg images covering Northern Atlantic, Europe and North Africa have been obtained from EUMETSAT to fill the gap in the archive between October 2002 and August 2003.
Images are from the operational METEOSAT archives held by EUMETSAT
Images are JPG formatted
Mobile platform operations
|Mobile Platform Operation 1||Mobile Platform Operation for: METEOSAT-7|
Computation Element: 1
|Title||DETAILS NEEDED - COMPUTATION CREATED FOR SATELLITE COMPOSITE. deployed on METEOSAT-7|
|Abstract||This computation involved: DETAILS NEEDED - COMPUTATION CREATED FOR SATELLITE COMPOSITE. deployed on METEOSAT-7.|
- long_name: Engineering
- names: Engineering
- gcmd_keyword: Infrared Imagery
- long_name: Infrared Imagery
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0420
- names: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0420, Infrared Imagery
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P131/4/GTER0056
- long_name: Infrared Wavelengths
- gcmd_keyword: Infrared Wavelengths
- names: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P131/4/GTER0056, Infrared Wavelengths
- long_name: Microwave
- gcmd_keyword: EARTH SCIENCE > Spectral/Engineering > Microwave
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P041/4/H418
- names: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P041/4/H418, EARTH SCIENCE > Spectral/Engineering > Microwave
- gcmd_keyword: Microwave Imagery
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0527
- long_name: Microwave Imagery
- names: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0527, Microwave Imagery
- long_name: Visible Imagery
- gcmd_keyword: Visible Imagery
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0925
- names: Visible Imagery, http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P141/4/GVAR0925
- gcmd_keyword: Visible Wavelengths
- long_name: Visible Wavelengths
- gcmd_url: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P131/4/GTER0112
- names: http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/P131/4/GTER0112, Visible Wavelengths