ESA Sea Surface Salinity Climate Change Initiative (Sea_Surface_Salinity_cci): Weekly sea surface salinity product, v2.31, for 2010 to 2019
The ESA Sea Surface Salinity CCI consortium has produced global, level 4, multi-sensor Sea Surface Salinity maps covering the 2010-2019 period.
This dataset contains Sea Surface Salinity (SSS) v2.31 data at a spatial resolution of 50 km and a time resolution of 1 week. It has been spatially sampled on a 25 km EASE (Equal Area Scalable Earth) grid and 1 day of time sampling. A monthly product is also available. In addition to salinity, information on errors are provided (see more in the user guide and product documentation available below and on the Sea Surface Salinity CCI web page).
An overview paper about CCI SSS is now published:
Boutin, J., N. Reul, J. Koehler, A. Martin, R. Catany, S. Guimbard, F. Rouffi, et al. (2021), Satellite-Based Sea Surface Salinity Designed for Ocean and Climate Studies, Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 126(11), e2021JC017676, doi:https://doi.org/10.1029/2021JC017676.
An updated version of CCI SSS (version 3.21) is now available on: https://catalogue.ceda.ac.uk/uuid/5920a2c77e3c45339477acd31ce62c3c ; version 3 SSS and associated uncertainties are more precise and cover a longer period (Jan 2010-sept 2020); version 3 SSS are provided closer to land than version 2 SSS, with a possible degraded quality. Users might remove these additional near land data by using the lsc_qc flag.
2020-09-07 This dataset forms part of the ESA Sea Surface Salinity v2.31 products, which can be cited with the following DOI: 10.5285/4ce6… Show More 2020-09-07 This dataset forms part of the ESA Sea Surface Salinity v2.31 products, which can be cited with the following DOI: 10.5285/4ce685bff631459fb2a30faa699f3fc5 (see http://dx.doi.org/10.5285/4ce685bff631459fb2a30faa699f3fc5) Show Less
|Previously used record identifiers:||
No related previous identifiers.
Public data: access to these data is available to both registered and non-registered users.
Use of these data is covered by the following licence: https://artefacts.ceda.ac.uk/licences/specific_licences/esacci_salinity_terms_and_conditions.pdf. When using these data you must cite them correctly using the citation given on the CEDA Data Catalogue record.
Data have been produced by the Sea Surface Salinity project as part of the ESA Climate Change Initiative programme and delivered for long-term archiving at the Centre for Environmental Data Analysis (CEDA).
Data are as provided by the CCI Sea Surface Salinity project team. Estimates of uncertainty are provided in the data files, see documentation for further information
Data are netCDF formatted.
|MIRAS||Deployed on: SMOS|
|SMAP||Deployed on: SMAP|
|Aquarius||Deployed on: SAC-D|
Mobile platform operations
|Mobile Platform Operation 1||SMOS satellite orbit details|
Computation Element: 1
|Title||CCI Sea Surface Salinity retrieval|
|Abstract||ESA CCI Sea Surface Salinity ECV Data has been produced at a spatial resolution of 50 km spatially resampled on 25 km EASE grid with a) a time resolution of 1 week and 1 day of time sampling and b) a time resolution of 1 month and 15 days of time sampling. For details of the algorithm see the documentation from the CCI Sea Surface Salinity project.|
- long_name: Bias in Sea Surface Salinity
- var_id: sss_bias
- names: Bias in Sea Surface Salinity
- long_name: Count of the Number of Outliers within this bin cell
- var_id: noutliers
- names: Count of the Number of Outliers within this bin cell
- long_name: Ice Sea Contamination Quality Check, 0=Good; 1=Bad
- var_id: isc_qc
- names: Ice Sea Contamination Quality Check, 0=Good; 1=Bad
- long_name: Land Sea Contamination Quality Check, 0=Good; 1=Bad
- var_id: lsc_qc
- names: Land Sea Contamination Quality Check, 0=Good; 1=Bad
- var_id: total_nobs
- long_name: Number of SSS in the time interval
- names: Number of SSS in the time interval
- units: %
- long_name: Percentage of Explained Sea Surface Salinity Variance by the Sea Surface Salinity Standard Error
- var_id: pct_var
- names: Percentage of Explained Sea Surface Salinity Variance by the Sea Surface Salinity Standard Error
- long_name: Sea Surface Salinity Quality, 0=Good; 1=Bad
- var_id: sss_qc
- names: Sea Surface Salinity Quality, 0=Good; 1=Bad
- long_name: Sea Surface Salinity Random Error
- var_id: sss_random_error
- names: Sea Surface Salinity Random Error
- long_name: Standard Deviation of the Bias in Sea Surface Salinity
- var_id: sss_bias_std
- names: Standard Deviation of the Bias in Sea Surface Salinity
- var_id: sss
- standard_name: sea_surface_salinity
- long_name: Unbiased merged Sea Surface Salinity
- names: sea_surface_salinity, Unbiased merged Sea Surface Salinity
- units: degrees_north
- standard_name: latitude
- long_name: latitude
- var_id: lat
- names: latitude
- units: degrees_east
- standard_name: longitude
- long_name: longitude
- var_id: lon
- names: longitude
- long_name: time
- standard_name: time
- var_id: time
- names: time