ESA Ocean Colour Climate Change Initiative (Ocean_Colour_cci): Global chlorophyll-a data products gridded on a geographic projection, Version 4.0
The ESA Ocean Colour CCI project has produced global level 3 binned multi-sensor time-series of satellite ocean-colour data with a particular focus for use in climate studies.
This dataset contains their Version 4.0 chlorophyll-a product (in mg/m3) on a geographic projection at 4 km spatial resolution and at number of time resolutions (daily, 5day, 8day and monthly composites). Note, this chlor_a data is also included in the 'All Products' dataset.
This data product is on a geographic grid projection, which is a direct conversion of latitude and longitude coordinates to a rectangular grid, typically a fixed multiplier of 360x180. The netCDF files follow the CF convention for this projection with a resolution of 8640x4320. (A separate dataset is also available for data on a sinusoidal projection.)
This dataset forms part of the v4.0 ocean colour dataset collection that can be cited with doi:10.5285/00b5fc99f9384782976a4453…
This dataset forms part of the v4.0 ocean colour dataset collection that can be cited with doi:10.5285/00b5fc99f9384782976a4453b0148f49
|Previously used record identifiers:||
No related previous identifiers.
Public data: access to these data is available to both registered and non-registered users.
Use of these data is covered by the following licence: http://licences.ceda.ac.uk/image/data_access_condition/esacci_oc_terms_and_conditions.pdf. When using these data you must cite them correctly using the citation given on the CEDA Data Catalogue record.
These data were produced by the ESA Ocean Colour CCI project and provided to CEDA in the context of the ESA CCI Open Data Portal project.
Data are as provided by the Ocean Colour CCI team. For details of validation see the linked Product User Guide and documentation on the Ocean Colour CCI website (https://climate.esa.int/en/projects/ocean-colour/)
Data are in NetCDF format
Derivation of Ocean Colour v4 data from the ESA Climate Change Initiative Ocean Colour project (Ocean_Colour_cci)
The ocean colour CCI has calculated ocean colour Essential Climate Variable data, using input data from various satellite instruments, as part of the ESA Climate Change Initiative program.
The v4 dataset has been created by band-shifting and bias-correcting MERIS, MODIS and VIIRS data to
For more information see the Ocean Colour v4 Product User Guide.
- var_id: chlor_a_log10_bias
- long_name: Bias of log10-transformed chlorophyll-a concentration in seawater.
- long_name: Count of the number of observations from the MERIS sensor contributing to this bin cell
- var_id: MERIS_nobs_sum
- long_name: Count of the number of observations from the MODIS (Aqua) sensor contributing to this bin cell
- var_id: MODISA_nobs_sum
- long_name: Count of the number of observations from the SeaWiFS (GAC and LAC) sensor contributing to this bin cell
- var_id: SeaWiFS_nobs
- long_name: Count of the number of observations from the VIIRS sensor contributing to this bin cell
- var_id: VIIRS_nobs_sum
- long_name: Count of the total number of observations contributing to this bin cell
- var_id: total_nobs_sum
- var_id: chlor_a_log10_rmsd
- long_name: Root-mean-square-difference of log10-transformed chlorophyll-a concentration in seawater.
- var_id: crs
- units: degrees_north
- long_name: latitude
- var_id: lat
- standard_name: latitude
- long_name: longitude
- standard_name: longitude
- units: degrees_east
- var_id: lon
- var_id: time
- standard_name: time